Saturday, September 5, 2009

Wally World

Growing up, I remember Wal-Mart was like my favorite store.... strange fact, but true, but we are talking middle school here people! Maybe because I had no real other options or maybe it was just a function of where I grew up, but I never quite thought of Wal-Mart as the place where ghetto, white trash people shop.

I guess maybe I learned that in college. I took a brief hiatus from my WM days starting senior year of high school, and then throughout college I shopped at Meijer (love, Love, LOVE that place!), and then for some reason after all those years without it, I decided to look up my ol' love Wally World and give it another try.

Now, I know. Normal people shop at Target. Crazy ghetto white trash people shop at Wal Mart. It's just like some sort of unspoken rule.

However, in my recent quest for saving money, I have compared prices between Target & Wal Mart and man, oh man, I found some big differences! Hence, I decided to suck it up and make WM my staple store.

(As a sidenote, I guess that means that by default, I am now ghetto white trash, lol. Oh well!)

Anyway, somehow I managed to find myself at Wal Mart 2 days this weekend - 2 days in a row!! And each day I saw some very bizarre happenings...

(1) Friday as I was walking into Wal-Mart, there was some random girl like sitting on the curb right outside the store talking on her cell phone obviously VERY upset and obviously crying. It was pretty strange... this girl was very WT and somehow she thought that it would be a good idea to spill her life's sorrows on the curb there at Wal Mart.

I made a brief trip around the store (obviously a little too brief as I had to go back again today), and on my way out, the cops had apparently been called and were trying to calm this girl, who was growing more & more agitated as each minute ticked by. I did not slow my step to watch this trainwreck taking place (as many, many others did), but from where I overheard I guess this girl was upset because some guy was no longer letting her live with him????

I really don't know, but I highly doubt that the front step of wal mart is the place to air your grievances.

(2) So, today, I re-pull up into my friendly neighborhood WM parking lot and park 2 spaces away from some old man who was just sitting there, chilling in his pick up truck smoking a cigarette. I initially glanced at him, thinking it was strange, but didn't think that much of it, and grabbed JD from the back seat to enter the store.

Another brief trip around the store, and I return to my car only to find ol' boy still sitting there just chillin' in the parking lot as if it were some sort of hot spot. At this point, I started to get creeped out, especially since his truck was behind me as I was buckling JD in. But, at this point, ol' boy decides the he actually needs to bump the tunes a little louder. He was playing old folk music SUPER loud, just hanging out in his truck with the door open, just a'puffin' away. Very strange indeed.

But, I am glad to say that he did not sneak up behind me and try to steal my purse or something.


Anyway, the moral of the story is that I am wondering if the 5 or 10 bucks I save each trip is really worth exposing JD to the lunacy that is Wal-Mart. I mean, really. I will have to think long & hard before my next trip for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment