Tuesday, October 6, 2009

OPRAH!!!!

Some of you may know this already, but I am on the brink of one of the most exciting things that have ever happened to me in my entire life. No, I'm not moving, I'm not pregnant again, and I certainly have not won the lottery.

However, I have recently made contact with Oprah's staff, and I am flippin' out excited about it!!

"How did this all start?" you may be thinking to yourself. Well. One of my mom's friends got to go on the Oprah show a few months ago and sit in the first few rows of the audience because she had written in on oprah.com about an upcoming show topic. The producers emailed her, a love was formed, and before you knew it, she was headed to beautiful Chicago, Illinois to a taping at Harpo studios.

So, taking a page from her book, I decided to do the same thing. I wrote in on a show topic about post-baby marriages and keeping the love alive in your marriage, and a few days later, I get an email in my gmail asking me for my picture if I was interested in appearing on the show in the first few rows of the audience.

A skeptic at heart, I tried to contain my excitement as I searched for a picture that looked like something Queen O herself would like to have in her audience. I ended up picking a picture of me from a wedding we went to a couple months ago where I was wearing a bright colored dress, reasoning that the produers could infer from wearing bright colors, that I also had a bright personality. A stretch for logic but my mind was spinning in all directions.

I sent that in on a Thursday and for the remainder of the day and the next day, I checked my email like a madwoman, but no response. A girl on the verge of O can only be so patient!!!

Saturday rolls around and I was busy, busy, busy with my little monkey man, and for some reason, I thought to myself that Oprah's producers don't work weekends, so I checked my gmail at approximately 11:40am, and then I did not recheck again until about 7:30pm.

Man, oh man, did I drop the ball on that one! Oprah's producer Allyson emailed me at 11:42am (gasp!) asking if there was a time that day (Saturday) that I would be available to talk to her on the phone.

Crap, crap, double crap. Here I am, 7:30pm, just getting this email and feeling like a total loser... like some high school athlete who missed what could've been the winning shot with the final seconds ticking off the clock. I hurriedly shot off an email to her that OF COURSE I would be available to talk to her any time at all (heck, even 3am if that's what I needed to do), and to please, please call because I would LOVE to go to the show.

So...Sunday ticks by with about 137,584 log-ins to my gmail.... nothing.

Monday comes and goes without so much as a reply to my email.

I am hopeful for Tueday, but if today ends without a reply, I am feeling that I did indeed miss the boat. As much as I am kicking myself for not checking my email with ocd-intensity, it will be OK for the following reasons:

(a) as most of you moms know anyway, it would be really hard to just up & leave in a moment's notice and expect Jeremy to do what I do (I don't know why this is so hard, but it's just one of those things that is difficult as a mom)

(b) as soon as Jeremy learned that I would have to mention him in my questions at the show, he became not so fond of my going (which, I would go anyway, tough cookies for him, but it could cause post-oprah-show tension in theory)

(c) In a most surprising move, my mom is at the lake and said she wouldn't come home to go to the show with me (what?!?!?!?) and my sister's husband is out of town, so it is unlikely that she could go to the show with me (?!?!??!?!?!?!), and those are by far, the two biggest Oprah lovers that I know, and it would be hard to find someone else who could drop everything to go, and plus, it wouldn't feel right if I couldn't take one of them. They just may hate me forever.

So, like I said I am still hopeful. I still think it could happen. And boy, oh boy would I be doing cartwheels around my living room if it did. But for right now, I am trying to keep my cool and wish my way onto Oprah's show. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment