Thursday, June 25, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting

Ugh, the dreaded babysitter situation. SUCH a dilemma in the world of a mom, unless you have YOUR mom or a good friend who stays home that you really trust, chances are that there are things that you would change about your sitter. I know I would. a *great* babysitter... wow, SUPER hard to find. I feel like there are women who do in-home daycare who WANT to do in-home care and women who HAVE to do in-home care, and wow, what a difference there is between the two.

I have been struggling with my sitter for some time now. There have been little circumstances here & there that have come up which have led me down the path of trying to find someone else for the past 3-4 months. But, every girl that I meet with has some sort of issue. One was an out-of-work teacher who could get a job at the drop of a hat. A lot of them cannot even spell on their online postings advertising for more children. The good ones are full, the bad ones are always in need of children. The list goes on & on.

So, I have not been happy with my sitter, but I have been dealing....until yesterday. I about lost it. To make a long story short, when I got JD home, his diaper had soaked through his shorts and was so wet that it drenched my shirt from carrying him. This is something that he has done only 1x to me - it was OVERNIGHT. If he is getting his diaper changed on a regular basis, this would not be happening. The diaper was swollen and just enormously filled with pee. When I got home I was FURIOUS.

Jeremy gets home and I confront him with the situation, tears coming out of my eyes as I think about poor little JD plopped in front of the TV all day sitting in his own urine with no relief. Jeremy's answer, "Well, take him to a new babysitter then." As if oh wow!, I hadn't thought of THAT.

THAT is the problem. THAT is the issue. Who in the world will be our new babysitter??? He announces it as if he has solved the world hunger issue with an answer that is just so downright logical. Just like he said, "Well, just go to the mall if you want to go." As if it were that easy.

So, for right now I am re-visiting the out-of-work teacher who does not have a job for August, knowing that she may get work at the last minute, and I guess I am OK with that, but that buys me some time to go on the hunt and at the very, very least, I know (OK, I hope) my son will have his diaper changed when it's wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment