Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Further Education

You know how there are certain times in your life that you can remember just like they were yesterday? Well, I'm doing good to remember the REAL yesterday anymore, but there are still random memories from my younger days that pop into my head from time to time... some good, some bad, and some downright ugly. One of those popped into my head when I was trying to come up with a good name for my blog. After trying about a million names that have already been taken, I remembered my MRS degree.

When I was in high school, I worked at the local animal hospital & all & all, it was a job that I really loved. I'm an animal person, so I got to be around animals all day, plus I got out of school an hour early to go work there senior year, and I was always out of there by 7:30 every night, which meant I didn' thave to leave my social life behind to go work. It was a good gig for a high schooler.

I was working the front counter one evening the summer before I left for college, and one of the doctor's pointed that out my soon-to-begin higher education to one of our clients. He said, "Oh, really? Where are you going?" I replied, "The University of Illinois." He said, "Oh yeah, whatcha studying?" I said, "Oh, I don't know... I haven't really made up my mind just quite yet." He says, "Oh, I'd have figured you were going up there for your MRS degree." Stupid me was a little slow on the pick-up that day. I said, "No, I was thinking either business or vet med."

After he left, I finally figured it out... my M R S degree - going to college to find a man! Hardy, har, har, Mr. Client-with-the-mean-ol-grumpy-dog. I was not that kind of girl... I was going to college to learn, dangit!!

Anyway, I did earn a business degree from U of I, and I guess for all those interested, I guess you could say that I earned a MRS degree as well.... one of them worked out better than the other... I'll let you take a guess on that one. :-)

But, for some reason, that conversation has stuck with me, and over the years I have learned that your MRS degree is not something that can ever be completed... it's kind of like one of those licenses where you always have to take continuing education when you think that you're an expert already.

And, even harder is completing your MRS degree with an emphasis in MOM... and that's what I'm working on these days.

Yours,
Amy Vacca, MRS/MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment