Friday, June 26, 2009

I went out last night.... one thing started leading to another...

Last night, I was lucky enough to meet one of my friends out for dinner... not only did I get to meet her for dinner, but Jeremy got home from work early and so I left early and was able to go to Once Upon a Child, and Toys R Us as well (exciting I know). We had dinner at Houlihan's and then once dinner was over we decided to move to the bar there to have a few drinks being that I don't get to see my friends nearly enough.

It was not a late night. I was home by 10:30. My kitchen, freshly cleaned from the day before, was a mess. There were crumbs on the floor, baby food containers still left out from JD's dinner, and a Taco Bell cup working on a nice water ring on my dining room table. Ugh. Annoyance. But, I did get to go out so that is the price I pay, I guess.

JD started to wake up about 4:30 this morning and anyone who knows my husband knows it was not him who was getting up with the baby. It seems that this ALWAYS happens... anytime I am not there to do the bedtime routine and put JD down, he always seems to wake up disturbingly early. I mean, 4:30.... really?????

I used to think that I always happened to choose that one night where the stars become mis-aligned that makes my son's night sleep skimpy as best to be the one night that is "my night"... my big, exciting, look-forward-to-it night out (which still means I'm home by 11 at the latest, but still, it's a night out nonetheless).

However, now I am coming to the conclusion that the stars aren't misaligned, but it's actually my son who just does not sleep as well when I am not the one who puts him down. Wonderful. So, any time I get my big night out, it means that I will come home and pay the price at home with a son who starts crying to see me at 4 in the morning.

So, a night out, it's really a double-edged sword. Yes, very fun. Yes, very good time. Yes, much needed break from mom-life which allows me to catch a glimpse of my prior life. However, it also means that I will also be the following combination the next day: tired, crabby & hungover, emphasis on tired.

I really have finally figured out that I need to sharpen my negotation skills so that when I negotiate "my night" with Jeremy that it also includes "my morning" the morning after that allows me to sleep in until at least 6:00. A girl can dream, can't she???

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. This is exactly how I feel about getting time to myself. It usually results in so much extra work that I really have to think long and hard about whether or not it is worth it. I think the next time Jeremy goes out, you should but him on morning JD duty just so he can see what that feels like! Ryan knows very well what that is like - so I think he is little better now about helping me out if I want to go out. But not always...

    ReplyDelete